Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's the Thought That Counts, Right?

Every day we start our schooling off by reading the Book of Mormon. We're following along with Primary and trying to read it by the end of the year. We got a little behind in the summer, so we're doubling up here and there. It takes us probably an hour to read what could normally be read in 15 minutes. Here's why:

I have Pokemon King and Dinodude read as well as myself. If I'm the only one reading, I may as well be reading to a wall! So, first they have to pick which verses they want to read. Easy? Not a chance. They both like to read the last few verses of the chapter. They both want to read only the short verses. So, it takes us 10 minutes to decide who's reading what. Can they do it without arguing? Of course not! While Pokemon King tells me what he wants to read, Dinodude is yelling out, "Hey, that's what I was going to read!" The same thing goes when Dinodude is picking. So, I finally have to tell them who's reading what. Five minutes later, we can finally start reading.

We have a small futon in our schoolroom that the boys like to sit on. As I start reading, they start annoying each other: "Move your leg!" "Get off me!" "Stop pushing me!" So, I finally say, "Everyone to the table!" Another 5 minutes gone.

We're finally in a rhythm of reading. Here's how the rest of our reading goes:

ME: And now it came to pass...(Dinodude's hand shoots up)

Dinodude: Where are we at?

Me: Verse 1. And now it came to pass in the twenty and sixth year of the reign of the judges...(Dinodude's hand....again)

Dinodude: Can I get a drink?

Me: After we're done. (I continue) ....over the people of Nephi....

Pokemon King: Mom. Dinodude's drawing!

Me: Dinodude, please pay attention. (continuing) ...behold, when the Lamanites....(Dinodude...again)

Dinodude: Mom, Pokemon King's not sitting at the table!

Me: Pokemon King, please sit at the table. (continuing) ...awoke on the first morning of the first month... (Babymoon decides he's hungry, so we pause so I can change him and get his bottle-then I continue while feeding him) ....behold, they found...(I pause at the sound of Dinodude & Rocket fighting over the scriptures. Dinodude finally gives in and let's Rocket have his scriptures-I continue) ....Amalickiah was dead in his own tent....(Rocket's hand goes up!)

Rocket, with the scriptures open: Where are we at?

This continues throughout our entire scripture reading session. See why it takes an hour? Sometimes more! So, again, I ask...It's the thought that counts, right?

3 comments:

Ines said...

That sounds like us, when our kids were little. Nowadays, we say that who ever will read, gets to choose how many verses they want to read. It's funny how sometimes they choose to read the whole chapter. When things are rough though, we just say an article of faith - at least we're getting a spiritual thought!
It might not seem like it right now, but I hope that some day our kids will appreciate our consistency (probably not until they are dealing with their own kids though).

Valarie said...

Hey there! I found your blog through Jenny's. You guys had another baby! Congrats.
This sounds like when we try to do anything with our kids. So, I say yes, it's definitely the thought that counts (because that makes me feel better too. :))

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that was so funny! We're not quite that bad yet, only because there are only 3 of them and 2 can't read yet. At least we're trying, so yes, it's the thought that counts.