Monday, October 1, 2007

Back From Fall Break

We are back from our fall break. Surprisingly, school went quite well. Not much of a fuss from any of the boys.

I'm in the process of changing 9 year old's history. Story of the World 4 is just a little too much for him. Or so I thought. When I told him about our new plans, he asked if we could still read Story of the World for fun. So, I think we will try to do that. He said he likes the stories, but he doesn't like the other work that goes along with it! Which is a little crazy because the same type of work is included in the new plan! But, the readings are shorter in the new plan.

What is the new plan, you might ask? Well, we do history on Mondays, Wednesdays, and sometimes Fridays. On Monday, we'll read 2 pages from the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, do an outline together, and do a map that coordinates with the study. On Wednesday, we'll read 2 pages from the KHE, he'll do a narrative (probably on the computer, since that boy hates to write!), and do a map. So, he's still doing an outline, narrative and map, but the readings are shorter, so I think that will please him. He'll still have a book to read that somewhat correlates with the time period. On Fridays, we'll do activities from the SOTW guide. So, we're still using SOTW, just in a different way. We'll start this next week. This week he's just doing a little theme unit packet from school express on the Civil War. It's the same thing that 6 year old is doing, so in a way, he's got it easy this week!

Next year will probably be more fun, since we go back to studying the Ancients. I love studying the Ancients. I've already got tons of websites bookmarked and ideas running through my head. I just hope the boys will be as excited as me!

0 comments: